Happy Mother's Day
The outcome of the tour manager and tour guide (preliminary) exams was released on May 9 this year. I was blessed and lucky enough to pass the two exams, which makes me one step closer to my goal- being a part-time tour guide or tour manager during summer and winter vacations. It seems that God opens another window for me and I get this great opportunity to explore another different diverse life experience. I'm so thrilled about that. The oral exam of the tour guide will be held on June 2. Wish me luck!
Some of my studnets also took the exams and right after the result came out, some of them knew that I had passed and posted some messages on their family website to congratulate me on the passing of the two exams. How sweet! What took me by surprise is that they even sent me leis and flowers in yesterday's class. That's also part of the activities to wish the female students a happy Mother's Day. Everybody was so happy for me and some even called me up to tell me how happy they were when they got to know the great news. It's really lucky for me to teach a class like this. Compared to other part-time students, they are more highly-motivated and hard-working. It's not easy for a part-time student to take care of his studies, family and work well at the same time. (I've been there, done that). But so far, most of them have been doing a great job. And I am kind of pround of them. Most of all, they showed their determiniation and desire for knowledge and their thoughtfulness toward their fellow classmamtes and teachers. No wonder most teachers love hanging out with them and give them two thumbs up. Some of them even got master's Degrees already. The reason why they came here is for self-improvement.
Before the Saturday class, I had been trying so hard to call into ICRT in the hope that I can request a song to wish them a happy Mother's Day as most of them are mothers already. But I did have a hard time calling in and even though I tried to email those DJs, my request wasn't played at all. Maybe they were up to their ears. However, at the same time, I had planned to teach them "I turn to you" by Christina Agulera. That's a song that Christina dedicated to her mother. The lyrics are very touching and warm. It shows no matter how fragile and weak a person is, he or she can always turn to his/her mother. As the atmosphere on Saturday was so great and I was so thrilled, I decided to teach them this song on that day instead of Sunday. Meanwhile, I shared the hardship my grandmother has been through in order to bring me up with them. This really brought me back a lot of memories in childhood. I think that's what Mother's day is all about- rememer all the effort and put-out my grandmother has made for me and be grateful.
After this class, I could tell that everybody had a fairy good time watching Christina's music video and learning how to sing this song and reading the lyrics between lines. In the evening, I still tried to listen to ICRT and saw if I could still have any chances to make a request. Finally I heard StevieG urged listeners to email him or log on to the ICRT chatroom for a request. Fortunately, he agreed to play a song for me although it's not a slow song. However, that's good enough for me to bring a surprise for my students on Sunday. It's been a while that I didn't make any request on ICRT. It's still fun and interesting to hear my name on the air. StevieG, thank you so much. You are so cool!!! And for those who haven't tuned into his show, you should give it a shot. He has great voice and he plays awesome music. Most of all, he's funny and interesting to hang out with on the air. His time slot is 10:00-12:00 every Saturday evening.
On Sunday (Today), as it's Mother's Day, I tried to make the class a bit different. The theme for today is how to be a DJ and take requests from your listeners. Apparently, most people in class understand the conversation when a DJ takes requests. But to understand is one thing, to do is another. I decided to introduce some basic terms on music, and then some sentences and phrases a DJ uses now and then when he is on the air. And then everybody can simulate the situation and practice being a DJ. But before that, I played the message that I recorded from the song request on ICRT last night. Everybody in class was so blown away. I'm glad that they loved it because that's the special gift I wanted them to have. At least, in a few year, this beautiful scene might still linger in their mind. As an English teacjer, I have to exhaust every possibilty to guide students how to improve their English skills. So far, I found it the most useful to use metholds like those- teaching English in real life setting. But some of them still don't understand that once they can speak, it would be much easier for them to communicate and they won't forget some words so easily. Guess I have to improve my teaching skills to help all of my students.
But I still believe in a few years, Taiwan won't need so many English teachers anymore. I'd cherish this unforgettable life experience and live my life to its fullest. Last but not least, I'd like to say "Happy Mother's Day" to all mothers in the world, especially to my cute and funny grandmother. I love you. And I enjoy hanging out with you. Although you are just like a little kid and sometimes you are so moody and childish, I still love you, just like you loved me for who I'm evern since I was born. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! Muah !!!

沒有留言:

張貼留言

(1) 如你要發表意見,如有 Gmail 及 Google 的話,請點選「Google Account」這個選項,輸入Word Verification(驗證碼)後,再點選 Publish Your Comments(送出你的意見),接下來輸入 google (或 gmail) 的帳號及密碼後,即可完成留言囉!

(2) 如沒有gmail,google的帳號,或其他open ID 帳號的話,那請點選 Anonymous (匿名)這個選項,輸入Word Verification(驗證碼)後,再點選 Publish Your Comments(送出你的意見),即可完成留言囉!